Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Cooking, Marriage, and Simplicity

After cooking dinner a couple of weeks ago, I turned to hubby and blurted out, "I don't like cooking and I never will." At first, he didn't respond verbally. He just stood in the kitchen staring at me, as if I had just told him his dog died. He was obviously hurt by my words.

In contrast, I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I was finally free. I had finally lived up to the fact that I don't like cooking. I don't have to feel guilty anymore. I don't like it, and that's that. I don't have to try to live up to any unrealistic expectations in that department. Whew...glad that's over!

What's really great is that I don't have to feel bad when the holidays come around, because hubby loves to cook (I guess opposites really do attract)! And since I have made my feelings toward cooking very clear to him, he decided that this year he would just do as he pleased in terms of Thanksgiving. Now, let me tell you what that led to...

Turkey, dressing, turnips greens, mustard greens, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, spaghetti squash, sweet peas, rolls, 2 sweet potato pies, butter cookies, and homemade ice cream. Basically: my husband has turned into Paula Deen.

What's really weird is that Paula hubby did it all so quickly that I didn't even realize to what extent he had gone! What's even more weird was the fact that he loved every minute of it. He was happy that he was cooking and I was happy that I wasn't. See, everyone is happy. It's a win win situation. Maybe after 7 years, we've finally figured this marriage thing out! You do what you want to do and I'll do what I want to do. Everything else; we'll flip a coin. It's simple.

Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours!



4 comments:

  1. What a blessing your husband is! Personally I love the cooking part but hate cleaning up. My husband and boys do help with this to give me a break, but I have to admit sometimes I don't cook at all if I think the chances are slim that I'll have help cleaning up. There,I got that off my chest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenn-lol! Thanks "Keeping it real" lol!

    After we were done with dinner, I found myself staring at a kitchen full of dirty dishes! NOT fun! Maybe that is one reason why hubby would rather cook:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut up! Homemade Ice Cream!Clearly I need that recipe!That's great that you all are finding what works..lol

    ReplyDelete

Your ideas, questions, and comments are welcome!