The picture above is of Maggie Erber teaching a seminar at the 2009 Mother Daughter Tea. Maggie is the mother of 8 children & grandmother of 7.
I had the pleasure of hearing her share some of her experiences and wisdom on motherhood at the 2009 Tea. Below are some of the notes I took during Maggie's seminar. I hope that they will be as much of a blessing to you as they were to me.
*Please Note: I am paraphrasing her words, these are not quotes.
When you're feeling overwhelmed...
- We honor God by continuing on the path he put us on, even when its hard, knowing that God has a plan for us.
- When you're feeling overwhelmed, just do the next right thing that is in front of you (that may be praying, cooking dinner, or giving the baby a bath). That's the thing you have grace for.
When you're losing perspective...
- God says that holiness is beautiful. When we think like God, then holiness is beautiful to us(Psalm 29).
- A mother sacrificing her life to take care of her children is beautiful. (Titus 2 & Proverbs 31).
When you're struggling to have a good attitude...
- The fruit of the spirit are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galations 5:2).
- Doing daily tasks with joy and the fruit of the spirit shows your children that holiness is beautiful and enjoyable. It causes your children to want to walk in the same path.
- You may not feel like doing it, but actions lead and feelings follow.
When you're feeling like an inadequate parent...
- Even though you see your faults, teaching your children to honor you, teaches them to honor God.
- Teaching them to obey your low patient voice, prepares them to obey God's still small voice.