Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 Book List -Update


In this post I shared my 2009 Book List, which consisted of 5 books I wanted to read before the end of the year.

Here's what happened:

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin- (Read it. Loved it. If you plan on having a natural birth, this is the book for you!)

What the Bible Says About Child Training by J. Richard Fugate - (Bought it. Skimmed it twice. This book challenged me in various ways. So loaded with good information, I need to go back and take notes.)

Managers of Their Homes by Steve and Teri Maxwell - (Never got to it.)

Passionate Housewives Desperate for God by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald (Read it. Loved it. It was very helpful in my quest to renew mind on what it means to be a wife, mother, and homemaker. If you are interested in doing such things, read this book!)

Radical Womanhood: Feminine Faith in a Feminist World by Carolyn McCulley- (Didn't quite get to this one either.)


Okay, okay. So, I read 2 out of 5 and skimmed another. But, I'm not a total slacker because I actually read 2 other books this year that I had not planned on reading.

I received In Praise of Stay-At-Home-Moms by Dr. Laura Schlessinger as a birthday gift. - (Read it. Really liked it. This book is not necessarily a Christian book. You won't find many scriptures in it; nevertheless, I liked hearing a natural perspective. Tons of encouragement and practical reasons why being a STAHM is ideal.

Dr. Laura isn't against women making money (she even worked nights after her son went to bed); however, she makes a distinction between doing work that takes you away from being the primary caretaker of your children and doing work that does not. Also, she had many great things to say on marriage and how being a homemaker affects your relationship with you husband! Awesome book!)


On a Positive Note by CeCe Winans. - (Read it. Loved it. I went back and re-read many portions of it. She offers and great story of her experience growing up in a large family that believed in holiness. I wanted to read this book to learn more about what caused her parents and upbringing to be so successful in instilling a love for God in her and her siblings. Got what I was looking for, but I wish I could have gotten even more details. Overall, great book!)

Has anyone else read any of these books? What did you think?

Coming soon: My 2010 Book List!


{Image by:kennymatic}

2 comments:

  1. Way to go reading several books this year! My husband gave me the Dr. Laura book. I also liked it. I have wanted to read Managers of Your Home, but didn't get around to it either.

    I have been soaking up breast feeding books to keep myself encouraged. Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and the ones on Above Rubies list.

    Gotta get to the one about natural child birth, however, my births happen so fast now, that natural is the only way to go for me anyway, lol.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    xoxo,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Passionate Housewives. Very good book too to pass on to my girls.

    ReplyDelete

Your ideas, questions, and comments are welcome!