Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Life With Three Under Three-Series

"Motherhood isn’t meant to be survived but enjoyed. Yet, the skills we need to enjoy it usually are learned after-the-fact. I hate it when that happens."

~Amy Scott

Amy Scott is an a fellow blogger and mother of six children under the age of 11. I recently discovered a blog series she wrote some time back called Life With Three Under Three. In the series she shares her perspective and advice on homemaking for moms who are dealing with a house full of little ones. Here is an excerpt from the series:

It’s maternal instinct to desire and nurture babies. We’re created for it; it’s basic biology. The problem is that our culture suppresses the natural urge and calls it unnatural. This is why I messed with nature, took synthetic hormones, and hung over a toilet for months. If I said, “I’m getting married and hope raise a family soon,” I’d likely be labeled “irresponsible” by my evangelical brethren; for the more fortunate, it’s possible to escape with just being weird.

But there is a resurgence of women (that I’ve never noticed before—maybe I had my eyes closed or maybe the internet made it possible for them to band together) who are now saying, “Yes, I want to raise a family. I’ll agree that babies are good and can glorify God….but how?”

After a few babies, reality sets in and the Christian mom begins to think that maybe everyone had a good point. This is really hard. She is knee-deep in Cheerios. The laundry has an unnatural smell to it. She’s knows the theme song to every show in the PBS morning lineup. Her husband gets to talk to people that are taller than his waist during the day and she feels jealous. The kids are crying, but when it’s quiet she is left with the thought, “How does doing THIS glorify God? And how in the world do I do this?!”

Our 21st-century homes do not have front porches. Quilting circles are only found in books. And the hospital nurse at your last delivery? She was 20. Her coaching consisted of asking every few minutes if you were ready for an epidural.

Has it really come to this? And if so, is it OK?

I don’t think it’s OK. I also think many women agree with me. We weren’t meant to do it alone. We weren’t meant to take our cues from the broader culture. We want to know that it’s OK to cross-the-line and have Baby #3 (on purpose). We want to raise them to love Jesus and not lose our minds at the same time. We want to know that our sacrifice means something, and at the end of the day, our pursuit of God’s glory made a difference.

I think Amy hits the nail on the head when she explains that there are mothers who believe children are a blessing and want to have them, but when the realities of parenting and homemaking set in, if a young mother doesn't know "how" exactly they are a blessing and/or how to train them and manage their homes, she becomes doubtful and distraught. At that point, a tubulagtion starts sounding pretty good. 

Also, I agree with her point that "we weren't meant to do it alone." The bible says  that the older women ought to "teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed" (Titus 2:4-5)  Now if you know me, you know I am not one who is afraid to ask for help/advice (in fact, this has gotten me in trouble a time or two;). Therefore, I would gladly welcome instruction from some older women who have a biblical worldview and have successfully brought their children up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord(Eph 6:4). Nevertheless, though I have a few mentors in my life, most of them are not much more than 10 years older than me and are still in the thick of parenting. 

My question is: where are these "older women" at? I might just be overlooking some great resources, but there don't seem to be many older women who have a godly outcome and perspective on family who are willing to mentor and teach. Judging by our society's post-feminist cultural norms, it might be just be safe to assume that they would love to help, but their too busy at work.

With that said, I praise God for godly women like Amy who have been there and are not too busy, too proud, or too scared to share a thing or two with us "young mommies" over the blogosphere! Not only is she a riot, she has great tips, and offers a honest and realistic idea of the challenges that face moms during this season of life. 

6 comments:

  1. LaSandra your blog is fantastic! Now, I'm not an older woman and I can clearly teach you nothing about being a Mother. However, I must say that this blog has encouraged me and allowed me to see how wondeful holiness and family life can be. Yes it's challenging, yes you sho nuff be going through. But, the blessings of the Lord are upon your family, God's favour, God's mercy, and God's grace is with you when you're abiding in His perfect will. I don't see many families raising their children in the Lord and doing it with so much joy. So, it's awesome to see you and the few others I know doing so! This blog is blessing me and I wanted you to know that in the midst of your children, in the midst of your Husband, in the midst of your responsibilities, and in the midst of balancing your own spiritual life, the Lord has still used you to reach others and bless them :-)Girl, God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall when my sister had 2 under two at home. It definitely takes the support and assistance of others to manage a young children, keep the house clean, and keep your sanity. I pray that the Lord sends you the advice and wisdom you seek in regards to your three little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. You have so much wisdom in seeking out the older women. Like you, I have the same question, "Where are the Titus 2 women?" When I first became a Christian at the age of 16, I had such great mentors. My best friend was 45. I loved hanging out with the church mothers. They would teach me to pray, encourage me to fast, tell me to praise Him as I go through. They have since past on.

    I used to teach a women's Bible study. I was the youngest woman there. The one who was closest to my age was 62. I'm nowhere near 62. It's like the roles were reversed. I enjoyed my time teaching them, but longed to sit at an older woman's feet and soak up all that she had to offer.

    Each time I go to church I look around and see if maybe she will walk through the door this week. Nope, she hasn't yet. Until then, I just continue to experiment until I get the right solution on marriage & motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love having great mentors. one of my best friends moms is a great one that i really look up to. i wish there were more though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara-Thanks for keeping me in your prayers girl!

    ReplyDelete

Your ideas, questions, and comments are welcome!